Hello, and welcome to my first blog entry. I’m Masuma Ali the Operations Manager for East London Vision and for those of you, who like us, love your acronyms, it seems we are better known as ELVis!
This post will provide you with information on what I and the rest of Team ELVis have been up to covering the week of 18 May.
I definitely didn’t see myself as a blogger, yet here you are reading my very first blog post, and to add to this, I never thought I’d be a Tweeter either, but I’m please to say I sent my first tweet on Wednesday (20 May), so looks like I’m becoming rather social media savvy thanks to my colleague Hassan. The lesson here is, never say never when on Team ELVis!
I met with The Challenge NCS staff covering the borough of Redbridge to discuss the summer 2015 programme. NCS is a government-funded initiative that supports community engagement and social integration among young people. We worked with The Challenge in 2014 in 5 of the 7 East London Boroughs, and we look forward to doing it all again this year in:
- Barking and Dagenham
- Waltham Forest.
I also attended a meeting to provide feedback on a Disability training course that is being developed by Hackney CVS, and attended the Vision Strategy Managers team meeting.
We now have leaflets printed for the Vision Impairment Awareness Training we deliver to anyone who wishes to provide a high quality service to blind and partially sighted people. The leaflet will soon be available to download from our website, www.eastlondonvision.org.uk, or email@example.com to request a copy.
The rest of the team has been rather busy too:
- Supporting Waltham Forest Vision the voluntary sector, user led group for vision impaired people in Waltham Forest by minute taking for them at their management committee meeting.
- We continue to support VIPON, the voluntary sector, user led group in Newham and attended their monthly meeting held on the 3rd Wednesday of each Month at the Star Lane Hub.
- Promote and publicised all current ELVis activities and events including: bowls and the Sight Information Day.
- Planning a series of Vision Impairment awareness training workshops in Hackney to take place over the next few months.
- Finalised arrangements to have someone on work experience start with us on 2nd June
- Attended Waltham Forest CCG workshops on Self-Care and Urgent Care.
For those of you who follow us on Facebook, you’ll already know that we have a feature called ELVis Friday Fun, where we share a riddle, joke, or anything fun to make you smile, after all it is almost the weekend! For those of you who aren’t Facebookers we can’t have you missing out, so for this week’s ELVis Friday Fun we have a riddle for all you number crunchers.
Using only addition, how do you add eight 8’s and get the number 1000?
Answer to be revealed next week.
Have a great Bank Holiday weekend!