Vision Impairment Awareness training
All our training programmes are tailored to the specific requirements of the client and designed and delivered by Vision Impaired people.
We know that clients gain the maximum benefit by learning from people who experience Vision Impairment on a daily basis. A participant who had attended a Vision Impairment Awareness Training session stated: “I have to say it is the first time that I’ve been on an awareness course presented by people with sight loss and it’s about 100% more effective/powerful!”
What we offer
We run a variety of training courses covering topics aimed at anyone who wishes to provide a high quality service to blind and partially sighted people.
The aim of our workshops is to provide those attending with relevant information relating to sight loss so that they can provide effective, person centred assistance to Vision Impaired people. In addition, attendees will also benefit generically from:
- An increased ability to communicate effectively
- enhanced interpersonal skills
- Being able to provide a better overall customer service.
Another participant added: “the entire course was great and I learnt so much from it, and now feel much more confident in assisting blind and partially sighted people. A very worthwhile day.”
General course content
The following is just an example of topics that can be covered as part of the workshop, but as our training is tailored to the specific requirements of the client, the actual content is up to you:
Terminology, including language and Vision Impairment culture and etiquette
Sighted guiding, with practical demonstration and participation
- The effect of common eye conditions, including the use of simulator spectacles
- Communications, covering verbal, written and listening
- Equipment, including specially designed and everyday items
- Registration referral system, explaining the end-to-end process
- When does meaning well become unacceptable, role play scenarios to demonstrate how the best intentions can sometimes be inappropriate.
Masuma Ali, the Operations Manager for ELVis said: “It is great to see small voluntary sector organisations as well as commercial companies undertaking such training in order to be able to provide a high quality service and an effective assistance to vision impaired people.”
- The workshop can range from an hour to a full day.
- The maximum number of people that can attend is 20, but we recommend that 12 is most effective.
- Cost of delivery will be agreed once requirements of the workshop have been finalised.
- people who have not previously worked with Vision Impaired people, but will, or are likely to, be doing so in a paid or voluntary capacity in the near future
- people who have previously attended basic vision impairment awareness training, but would like a refresher
- People who would simply like to enhance their basic knowledge further.
To learn more about our vision impairment awareness training programmes, or to book a specific course, please contact Masuma Ali via:
T: 020 3697 6464
M: 07952 658614
Registered Charity No. 1154207