As you might have gathered, I love making cakes as well as eating them. One of my favourites is fruit cake which I am going to share with you.
Fruit cake ingredients:
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 4 oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 4 oz mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz glacé cherries
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 350°C fan or gas 4. Line and grease a deep 7-inch round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, adding a little of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Fold in the flour using a metal spoon. Then fold in the fruit. Add a little milk until the mixture is a soft dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Level the top of the cake.
- Bake in the oven for 1 – 1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack.
HOPE YOU ENJOY BAKING THIS CAKE AND EATING IT!!
Written by Christine Edmead, ELVis Administration and Information Officer