Hassan Khan from SELVis (South East London Vision) assisted us by delivering Vision Impairment (VI) Awareness and VI cricket to children from Marion Richardson Primary School in Limehouse on Friday, 23rd of June.
Hassan spent the day providing basic vision impairment awareness by:
- Talking about terminology and wherever possible to use everyday language with vision impaired/disabled people
- Demonstrating and passing around various equipment/objects such as the braille notetaker, bumpons, VI cricket balls, VI tennis balls, and simulation spectacles
- Explained basic guiding tips
- Showing the children a short video of England ODI captain Eoin Morgan training with the England blind cricket team
- Speaking about his personal sight loss journey
The children then had the opportunity to practice some of what they had learnt by taking part in practical activities which included the following:
- Simple ball exercise to demonstrate how important listening, hearing and communication is in any VI sport
- Catching the ball on 1 bounce in a circle
- Batting in pairs; 2 hits each whilst wearing tunnel vision glasses and the bowler blindfolded
Ms Khan said: “The children really enjoyed the VI cricket and I would like for Hassan to visit my class next year.”
The children also had the opportunity to ask questions, which ranged from “What inspires you?” to “If you could see what would you be?”
All the children that participated in the day received either an East London Vision pen or fridge magnet, which they were extremely thankful for.
Hassan said: “It’s always a pleasure visiting this wonderful school. It’s crucial for us to continue to visit schools such as Marion Richardson to raise awareness of vision impairments. I believe our workshops leave an everlasting impact on the children. An example of this is the children being aware of how to guide VI people and being aware of the things in their everyday environment such as the rotating cones on traffic lights.”
Thanks to Hassan for visiting the school and delivering an excellent awareness raising and educational day for the children at Marion Richardson Primary Sschool .
Written by Masuma Ali